Translate

Thursday 28 January 2016

January Small SAL



The Smalls SAL is hosted by Heather from Stitching Lotus

This year I have two Small Challenges:


For the Hallowe'en Blog I have done something a little different this year, I've chosen a band sampler by Just Nan called Counting Bats and each band corresponds to the monthly themes on the blog.  So January was Winged Creatures and I stitched these bats:


Kaye has chosen the themes for the Christmas Blog and January's was Music.  I am stitching Primitive Hare's Christmas Cubes for this challenge and here is C:


I also had a really small Small finish, the Mona Lisa by Mr. X-Stitch.  While rummaging through my stash cupboard I found this display of frames I bought from a house clearance shop a couple of years ago.  One of the frames was the perfect size for Mona:



Edit - The finished piece is 1.75 inches by 2.25 inches.

Now I just need five more miniature Old Masters to complete the set!  If anyone has any ideas please send me the links.  I found a cute Van Gogh from Cloud Factory which is a start.

In an attempt to keep up with my scrapbooking I mounted this little tree in a new frame made from an old Christmas card:


And here's the whole page:


Another thing which has got smaller is my list of followers, you may have noticed the same.  But do not panic!  Blogger has simply decided not to allow people to "follow" with accounts other than Blogger ones.  If those ex-followers use a Reader they should still be able to see your posts.

Finally,  the Secret Stitching Sweetheart Blog Hop will be taking place on Valentine's Day.  Full details can be found on this post but basically you email me a photo of something suitable for a lovely friend and I send you a photo from a mystery friend which you post on your blog to wait for your Secret Stitching Sweetheart to find you from the list of participants on my blog.  Have a look at last year's Hop to see how it all worked:

40 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Great smalls, my dear - how cool is that frame set you had in your stash - just right for Mona! Thanks for letting us know about the blogger change - I was wondering why all of these people were leaving my blog in droves - lol! So annoying!

Marie said...

I am so impressed with your stitching of Mona Lisa. That is SO tiny, it is perfect for that wonderful frame. Nice work on Counting Bats and Primitive Hares "C".

Unknown said...

What great finishes -- Mona is so tiny.... and looks amazing, as do your Bats and your Christmas Small...

Sherry said...

I really like your Halloween SAL and the Christmas SAL is so sweet. I have been having fun watching all the different challenges and SALs. The little Mona Lisa is really cute and looks perfect in the frame.

Emma/Itzy said...

Great smalls to start the year off with! Yep I lost two more followers today, how frustrating!

Justine said...

How perfect is that frame set? All gorgeous but Mona is so tiny, she's my favourite.

Rachel said...

Some lovely work and finishing going on this month. I still can't believe how good the Mona Lisa looks and fancy having the perfect frame in your stash. It was simply meant to be. :)

Margie said...

Have you ever seen Minitura Cubells on etsy? Could source for some inspiration. Stewart Dollhouse has a "Girl with the Pearl Earring" kit

http://stewartdollhousecreations.com/mkcros12

Bea said...

Such a perfect frame for Mona.

gominam said...

The Mona Lisa finish is perfect! I hope you find more masterpieces to fill in the others:) Your smalls are pretty too. Great idea for the tree on your scrapbook page:)

Heather said...

That's awesome you found a frame I'll be in the lookout for others :). I love your small choices!

Linda said...

Lovely finishes Jo. Your stitching and finishing are outstanding.

Linda

Preeti said...

The frame set is so nice and perfect fit for Monalisa miniature! I also liked the way you mounted that Christmas finish onto the card.

Jan said...

Glad you found something you liked to put Mona in. You can fill 3 of the frames with hubby and the boys... Just a thought! Oh and you might e-mail and ask HAED if they can design you something for the other 2 frames..... I wonder what's up with google that they want to control who gets to follow your blog?

Christine said...

The frame is ideal for Mona. I've a feeling I've seen some Degas ballerinas charted quite small somewhere, I'll have to try and remember

Elfie said...

You have such lovely projects! I like them all. Mona Lisa looks great in that cute little frame.

Julie said...

Perfect frame for Mona, couldn't have been better.
I noticed my blog following button dropped lots this week, thought it might have been the blog content not appreciated lol

Mii Stitch said...

Mona has to be my favourite, she is so tiny!! Perfect frame too :)

D1-D2 said...

I love the little frames. Mona is so tiny. How small is she?

Katie said...

The frame for Mona is just perfect! Good luck on your search for more. Love your Halloween piece and your Christmas scrapbook page. Great post!

♥ Nia said...

So much stitching! :D
Mona is so tiny!! Looks like you need to find more portraits to stitch ;)

Leonore Winterer said...

Cute smalls, I really like the Counting Bats design :)

Dani - tkdchick said...

You've done two great SAL related theme pieces this month! Love how the Just Nan corresponds nicely!

KimM said...

I love, LOVE the tiny frames!!!And Mona looks like she belongs there - how small is she??
xxx

Kerryp77 said...

Mona Lisa looks perfect in the frame. Good luck finding 5 to go with her! Lovely work on the other stalls too. I did wonder whether you were still doing your scrapbook pages.

Thoeria said...

You certainly have been busy, Jo!
Loving your perfect little Mona :)

Anna van Schurman said...

I marvel at your Mona Lisa. Five miniature masters hung together will certainly make a statement!

Barb said...

What a great frame for the Mona Lisa! I can't wait to see the other Halloween designs.

Astrids dragon said...

Your frame set for Mona is great! Did he design any other portraits?
I love reusing Christmas cards, but I didn't think to use them like you have though.

Brigitte said...

Oh JO, what a wonderful frame you found for your Mona Lisa. Perfect! I'm sure tat you will find other tiny pieces of art to stitch for the other frames.
Your new scrap book page looks really good.
If Google was a person I'd call this attitude childish, lol.

ANGIE said...

Hi Jo, your finishes are fantastic! Happy stitching!

Amy said...

Wow, that frame really gives some perspective on how tiny Mona is!

I love your idea of scrapbooking your finishes. So unique, and they look fantastic!

Susan said...

Everything looks great and how perfect is the frame set? I'll keep an eye out for miniature pieces of art.

diamondc said...

Jo: Love your Halloween and Christmas stitching, the Mona Lisa is in a perfect frame, wow what a beautiful setting for her.
I had never thought of using old cards for stitching and making cards wonderful idea.

Blessings
Catherine

Anonymous said...

Beautiful stitching, I love the frame

Sarah in Stitches said...

Great stitching!

Heather said...

Wow, so many great finishes, Jo. And that frame _is_ perfect for the Mona Lisa.

Irmeli said...

Wonderful smalls for January and the frame for Mona Lisa is perfect.

CJ said...

Great finishes. I love Kaye's Christmas's SAL.

CJ

Mini said...

What a great frame you found for Mona Lisa! Love how you have used the smalls in scrapbooking.